Assistant Farm Manager
We are hiring for an assistant farm manager for the 2022 season, starting March 15 and ending September 30. We are a diversified farm, and expect this position to work closely with owners to complete all aspects of certified organic livestock, egg and hay production including:
• Perform daily livestock chores including feeding, watering and health monitoring
• Wash, sort, and pack eggs for markets and wholesale accounts
• Assist with daily pasture rotations including setting up, taking down, moving and electrifying temporary fences
• Assist in livestock health maintenance throughout season
• Assist with hay production including tractor work, stacking on wagon and in barn.
• Assist with infrastructure and construction projects including fencing, general carpentry and painting
• Assist with brush and tree clearing
Compensation & Hours:
This position is full-time (40 hours) March 15 – September 30. Our ideal schedule would be five 8-hour days Tuesday – Saturday. A two-week paid trial period will begin from date of hire. Hourly pay starts at $16.00 and compensation includes $35 worth of meat and eggs per week.
Housing is not offered as part of the position, though we will assist in finding local housing if needed. Prior farm experience or comparable outdoor work is ideal, a demonstrated interest in or passion for the outodfood and agriculture is required.
There is opportunity for hours, rate of pay and length of employment to increase as the season progresses and experience and knowledge are gained.
1. Interest in the outdoors, agriculture, animals and/or the food system
2. Enjoys animals, dogs in particular
3. Willingness to work outdoors
1. Prior farm experience or comparable outdoor work
2. Experience working with livestock including cows, goats, sheep and/or poultry
A Successful Candidate Will…
● Have a positive outlook and sense of humor;
● Exercise good judgment, demonstrate initiative and active engagement in the work;
● Work well independently and as a member of the farm team;
● Demonstrate reliability, flexibility and punctuality;
● Practice and develop strong communication skills within our team setting;
● Have a desire to learn, improve work methods and learn about our farm system
Farming is both rewarding and demanding work. The successful candidate will be able to monitor and prepare for the predicted weather and remain calm and focused on the task at hand. Safety is important to us and as such a successful candidate will learn to operate equipment safely.
It is necessary for the candidate to be able to:
● Maintain a brisk and focused working pace all day;
● Move objects up to 35- 50 pounds on a daily basis;
● Spend hours walking;
● Perform repetitive tasks;
● Work outside for most of the day, despite inclement weather
How to Apply:
Please submit the following via email to email@example.com using the subject line: Assistant Farm Manager. Please Include a resume or list of recent employment and a brief letter of interest answering all of the following:
• What interests you about this job?
• What skills or qualities will you bring to our farm team?
• How many miles are you from our farm?