Short ribs may seem intimidating, but patience is key to a delicious result. This dish takes around 4 1/2 hours to cook but preparation time is simple. This recipe is designed to be cooked in a dutch oven. If you don’t have one then adjust for a slow cooker. Assemble per the instructions and set cook time to eight hours. Serve with crispy diced potatoes, mashed potatoes or creamy grits.
- 4.5 lbs Apple Creek Farm bone-in short ribs
- 2 whole garlic, sliced in half crosswise
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups dry red wine (Merlot, Pinot Noir or Shiraz)
- 2 cups Apple Creek Farm beef stock
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season short ribs with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place a Dutch oven (or heavy bottomed pan) over stove top over high heat, add oil, then sear short ribs until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the ribs from the Dutch oven (or heavy bottomed pan) then set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, in the same Dutch (or heavy bottomed pan) oven add the garlic, cut side down and then push the garlic to one side. Add the onions, celery, and carrots then sauté until vegetables are soft but not browned.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat vegetables.
- Pour in the red wine then deglaze the Dutch oven (or heavy bottomed pan), simmer for 2 minutes then pour in the beef stock and add the thyme.
- In the Dutch oven place the short ribs then cover with water until meat is submerged in liquid, bring to a boil, cover then transfer to 275 degrees preheated oven and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours until beef is fork tender. If using a slow cooker, move the assembled ingredients from your heavy bottomed pan and place into the slow cooker. Cover with water until submerged and set cook time for 8 hours.
- Remove from the oven (or slow cooker) and pull out the thyme. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, if needed, to taste.
- Garnish with lemon zest and parsley. Serve and enjoy.